Powered exclusively by 8th and 9th Generation Intel Core, Pentium Gold, and Celeron processors, the Prime Z390-A LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard from ASUS caters to daily users and content creators with well-rounded specs and features. Combining the benefits of Intel processors with essential ASUS design and engineering, the Prime Z390 provides a wealth of options for performance tuning via software and firmware features. This motherboard is designed to fit in ATX sized cases, supports the LGA 1151 socket, the Intel Z390 chipset, and is compatible with Windows 10 (64-bit).
The ATX form factor of the Prime Z390-A can support up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM over four dual-channel slots, or 16GB per slot at speeds of 4266 (OC) 4133 (OC), 4000 (OC), 3866 (OC), 3733 (OC), 3600 (OC), 3466 (OC), 3400 (OC), 3333 (OC), 3300 (OC), 3200 (OC), 3000 (OC), 2800 (OC), 2666, 2400, and 2133 MHz non-ECC unbuffered memory. For storage, there are six SATA III 6 Gb/s ports and two M.2 Socket 3 with M key, one of which supports type 2242, 2260, 2280, and 22110 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs, while the other supports type 2242, 2260, and 2280 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs.
There is also one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port (rear panel), three USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A ports (rear panel), two USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports (rear panel), two USB 2.0 Type-A ports (rear panel), one USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C connector (front panel), one USB 3.1 Gen 1 connector (mid-board) that support two additional USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, and three USB 2.0 connectors (mid-board) that support an additional six USB 2.0 ports. For those looking to expand their system using PCIe, there are two PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (x16, x8/x8, x8/x4+x4, x8+x4+x4/x0), one PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slot (max at x4 mode), and three PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1 slots.
For delivering sharp, clear graphics, this motherboard supports Intel HD Graphics with HDMI and DVI-D outputs. HDMI supports a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 at 30 Hz and the DVI-D port supports a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz. Integrated graphics has access to up to 1024MB of shared memory and also supports Intel InTru 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD, and Intel Insider. For users looking to take advantage of multi-GPUs, the Prime Z390-A supports NVIDIA 2-Way SLI and AMD 3-Way CrossFireX technologies.
Using the 8-Channel Realtek S1220A HD audio codec, the Prime Z390-A can support audio with higher fidelity than standard controllers. Audio can also be output using the integrated five 3.5mm audio outputs or S/PDIF output. This motherboard is also equipped with features such as AI overclocking, OptiMemII, and M.2 heatsink, support for Intel Optane memory and a Thunderbolt 3 header, a TurboV Processing Unit (TPU), an Energy Processing Unit (EPU), Fan Xpert 4, Digi+ Power Control, Aura Sync, Crystal Sound 3, and more. Included is an ASUS Q-Shield, three SATA III 6 Gb/s cables, an M.2 screw package, an SLI HB Bridge (2-Way-M), a Q-connector, and a CPU fan holder. This motherboard is protected by a limited 3-year warranty.
- Tune It Your Way
- The Prime Z390 simplifies CPU overclocking with software and extensive tweaking options that give beginners and seasoned overclockers alike the tools to build well-tuned machines. A new memory trace layout provides stability and compatibility for both traditional DIMMs and RGB-infused memory, letting you pair a broad choice of DRAM kits with your build.
- AI Overclocking
- ASUS AI Overclocking makes automatic tuning faster and smarter than ever before. Available in Windows or directly through the UEFI, it profiles the CPU and cooling to predict the optimal configuration for each individual system.
AI Overclocking results from a combination of CPU Potential, a proprietary algorithm that evaluates the CPU’s capabilities, and Cooling Capability, an onboard intelligence that watches system vitals like temperatures, fan speeds, and power draw to gauge cooling performance. AI Overclocking then uses this intelligence to perform automated clocking and to provide target frequency and voltage estimations for veterans that prefer manual tuning.
- 5-Way Optimization
- Take care of complex tuning with just one click. ASUS 5-Way Optimization is a system-wide tuning utility that overclocks the processor and tunes fan speeds to ensure a good balance between cooling and acoustics. The automated CPU tuning feature of 5-Way Optimization leverages the same onboard intelligence as AI Overclocking, but goes further by running a Prime95-based stress test to deliver a result that’s well-tuned from the get-go.
- TPU Insight / CPU Performance Boost
- Unleash your system’s full performance with the ASUS AI Suite 3 utility. The TurboV Processing Unit (TPU) is the intelligence behind their automated system tuning utility, offering the ability to fine-tune voltages, monitor system stats, and adjust overclocking parameters for improved performance.
- EPU Guidance / All-Round Energy Efficiency
- With the Energy Processing Unit (EPU), you’ll enjoy system-wide power savings. The EPU automatically optimizes power consumption and maximizes savings with Away Mode, a smart setting that creates an extreme energy saving scenario by shutting down unused I/O controllers.
- Fan Xpert 4
- With the Prime Z390-A, you have comprehensive control over fans via Fan Xpert 4 or ASUS’ UEFI BIOS. Whether you’re cooling with air or water, Auto Tuning mode intelligently configures all parameters with a single click. There’s also an Extreme Quite mode, which reduces all fan speeds to below the default minimum, helping to keep your system whisper quiet when performing light tasks.
- Digi+ Power Control
- Digi+ delivers real-time control over voltage droop, switching frequency and power efficiency settings, allowing you to fine tune CPU voltage regulation for stability and performance.
- Turbo App
- Whether you’re a professional designer or hardcore gamer, you’ll feel the benefit of ASUS’ Turbo App. This intuitive tool allows you to define CPU overclocking, apply fan profiles, prioritize network data, and optimize audio settings at the app level, meaning your Prime Z390-A is optimized for what you’re doing.
- UEFI BIOS
- The UEFI BIOS is an early waypoint on any PC-building journey, and Prime Z390-A offers a comprehensive one.
- AI Overclocking Guide
- The AI OC Guide allows you to enable the AI Overclocking or view a quick guide.
- AI Overclocking monitors system vitals like power draw, temperatures, and fan speeds to gauge overclocking performance.
- EZ Mode
- Intuitive Graphical Fan Control
Fine-tune individual fans simply by dragging a curve with the mouse.EZ XMP
Improve your DRAM performance with a click.
Display SATA port details that help you easily recognize drives.Fast Clock Adjustment
Use mouse controls to change the time and date.
- Advanced Mode
- Search Function
Quickly and easily find the option or setting you’re looking for.ASUS BIOS Profile
Save BIOS settings for migration to new BIOS version or system.EZ Tuning Wizard
Rapidly configure a RAID array for faster data retrieval and backups.
Quickly discover tuning options and add preferred tools to the list.
View recommendations for multi-VGA configurations and detailed information for selected ASUS graphics cards.
Last Modified Log
Track the last change and save preferred profiles onto a USB drive.
SATA Port Renaming
Rename SATA ports for easy identification.
Cool and Reliable
- Cool and Reliable
- The Prime Z390-A is designed for builders who want essential ASUS reliability and performance. More CPU cores create power delivery challenges, so the Prime Z390-A has extra power phases and comprehensive cooling features for improved performance.
- Cooler by Design
- The Prime Z390-A features comprehensive cooling controls, configurable via Fan Xpert 4 or the UEFI BIOS.
Multiple Temperature Sources
Each header can dynamically reference three thermal sensors, and via Fan Xpert 4 you can even map the temperature of supported ASUS graphics cards to optimize cooling for GPU and CPU-intensive tasks.Dual Pump Headers
A dedicated header that supplies over 3A for high-performance PWM or DC water pumps, plus a second dedicated header for AIOs.4-Pin PWN/DC Fan
Each onboard header supports auto-detection of PWM or DC fans.
ASUS Fan Extension Card Support
Includes three additional DC or PWM fan headers, plus three thermal-probe headers.
A dedicated integrated circuit protects each fan header from over-temperature and over-current.
- M.2 Heatsink – Keep Your SSD Cooler
- The Prime Z390-A has an efficient heatsink to reduce M.2 SSD temperatures by up to 20°C, and that means optimal storage performance and improved SSD longevity.
- Dr. MOS
- The Prime Z390-A’s CPU VRM utilizes Dr. MOS power stages that combine high-side and low-side MOSFETs and drivers into a single package, delivering the power and efficiency needed by Intel processors.
- ProCool Power Connector
- Compared with traditional power inputs, ProCool sockets are built to tight specifications to ensure flush contact with the PSU power lines. This lowers impedance, which helps to prevent hotspots and connector failure.
- SafeSlot is the PCIe slot reinvented by ASUS and engineered to provide improved retention and shearing resistance. Manufactured in a single step using an insert-molding process, SafeSlot integrates the slot with fortifying metal for an inherently stronger slot, which is then firmly anchored to the PCB through additional solder points.
- Built to Last
- ASUS motherboards are exhaustively tested for compatibility with more than 1000 components and devices, and each model undergoes a minimum of 8000 hours of strict validation.
- 5X Protection III
- Prime series motherboards are engineered with 5X Protection III, employing the fine components, excellent circuit design, and exacting standards to guarantee the quality and long-term durability of your motherboard.
- SafeSlot Core
- SafeSlot Core is the ASUS-exclusive PCIe slot. Featuring a fortified design that’s anchored to the motherboard by a special hook, SafeSlot Core provides 1.6x stronger retention and 1.3x greater shearing resistance than standard expansion slots. ASUS Prime motherboards have strengthened solder points around both the PCIe and DIMM pins.
- ASUS LANGuard is hardware-level networking protection that employs signal-coupling technology and premium anti-EMI surface-mounted capacitors to ensure a more reliable connection and better throughput.
- Overvoltage Protection
- A circuit design with built-in voltage regulators to protect your motherboard from damage caused by unexpected high-level voltages from unstable or inferior power supplies.
- DIGI+ VRM
- ASUS DIGI+ VRM intelligently delivers power to the processor based on real-time demands, reducing energy waste and improving system stability.
- DRAM Overcurrent Protection
- Onboard resettable fuses help prevent overcurrent and short-circuit damage. This extends beyond I/O ports to DRAM to safeguard the lifespan of your system and connected devices.
- Stainless Steel Back I/O
- Corrosion-resistant stainless-steel back I/O panels bonded with chromium oxide have a lifespan that’s three times longer than ordinary panels.
- ESD Guards
- ASUS ESD Guards prevent damage from electrostatic discharge, up to ±10kV for air discharge and ±6kV for contact discharge, arranged in an active-protective-circuit design that prolongs the life of components
- 1000+ Hours
- The Prime Z390 series provides compatibility with thousands of components and their Qualified Vendor List (QVL) identifies memory compatibility, giving you more choices for worry-free PC-building experiences.
- 8000+ Validation Hours
- Every ASUS motherboard is subjected to more than 8000 hours of stringent tests, including burn-in, environmental, compatibility, software and safety tests to confirm their durability. ASUS reliability surpasses industry standards, ensuring that every component is designed to function in almost any environment.
- Temperature and Humidity Tests
- Ensures components withstand extreme conditions.
- Thermal Measurement Tests
- Ensures that the system remains cool and stable under the heaviest loads.
- Insertion Tests
- Every port and connector is put through repeated installation cycles.
- Aging Tests
- Up to 48-hour aging test ensures reliability.
- Power Consumption Tests
- Checked for world-class energy efficiency.
- Temperature and DC Margin Tests
- Ensures that the motherboard is capable of coping with voltages fluctuations caused by varying temperatures.
- Thermal Shock Tests
- Ensures ability to survive temperature changes during transportation.
- Non-Operating Shock Tests
- Built to withstand jolts that may occur during shipping.
- Burn-In Tests
- Every component is checked to ensure smooth operations.
- Installation Tests
- Connector placement is double-checked to ensure hassle-free installation.
- Drop Tests
- Drop tests from various heights ensure durability.
- Salt and Spray Tests
- Tested for I/O reliability, prolonged lifespan, and rust-resistance.
- M.2 Speeds up to 32 Gb/s
- With PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x4 bandwidth, M.2 supports data transfer speeds up to 32 Gb/s. It’s a good choice for an operating system or application drive, providing fast access to data.
- IRST – Upgrade Your RAID
- Use the CPU’s PCIe lanes to unleash the Intel Rapid Storage (IRST) feature with the addition of an ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card V2 that allows you to attach up to three PCIe 3.0 x16 M.2 drives for a total bandwidth of up to 96 Gb/s.
- Intel Optane Memory
- Intel Optane is a non-volatile memory technology supported by the Prime Z390-A. Intel Optane memory modules accelerate attached storage to reduce boot and load times, so everything feels faster and more responsive.
- 10 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A & Type-C
- With backward-compatible USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A and reversible USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C ports, you’ll experience connection flexibility and fast data transfer speeds of up to 10 Gb/s.
- ThunderboltEX 3 Card
- The Prime Z390-A supports ThunderboltEX 3, an Intel-certified Thunderbolt 3 add-on card that enables bi-directional transfer speeds of up to 40 Gb/s through a single cable. Thunderbolt 3 also supports daisy-chaining up to six devices, has a reversible USB Type-C connector, and supports USB Power Delivery for fast, high-power device charging of up to 36W.
- Aura Sync
- A well-tuned enthusiast system deserves a matching aesthetic. ASUS Aura offers full RGB lighting control with a variety of functional presets for the built-in RGB LEDs as well as strips connected to the onboard RGB headers. It can all be synced with an ever-growing portfolio of Aura-capable ASUS hardware.
The Aura RGB-strip header supports 5050 RGB LED strips with a max power rating of 3A (12V). For maximum brightness, strip length should not exceed 9.8′ / 3.0m. RGB LED extension cables are included. LED Strips and Aura-compatible devices are sold separately.
- Realtek S1220A Codec
- The Prime Z390-A utilizes a unique audio codec designed in close collaboration with Realtek – the Realtek S1220A. It also features a 120 dB signal-to-noise ratio for the stereo line-out and a 113 dB SNR for the line-in, providing high audio quality. Additionally, an impedance-sensing circuit automatically adjusts gain to ensure the proper volume range for your headphones.
- DTS Headphone:X
- Immersive 3D surround-sound technology provides an immersive audio experience.
- Crystal Sound 3
- Power Pre-Regulator
Reduces power-input noise to ensure consistent performance.Audio Shielding
Separates analog/digital signal domains, reducing multi-lateral interference.Separate Layer for Left and Right Tracks
Helps ensure minimal crosstalk between audio paths.
Japanese Audio Capacitors
Premium parts provide an immersive sound signature with high fidelity.
- Intel Z390 Chipset
- The Intel Z390 is a single-chipset design that supports Socket 1151 for 9th Gen and 8th Gen Intel Core, Pentium Gold, and Celeron processors. It provides improved performance by utilizing serial point-to-point links, allowing increased bandwidth and stability. Additionally, the chipset provides a maximum of six USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, four USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, and 32 Gb/s M.2 and PCIe 3.0 lane speed support, for faster data retrieval. Intel Z390 also supports integrated-graphics, so you’ll enjoy the very latest in graphics performance.
- Ready for Socket 1151 for 9th / 9th Gen Intel Core, Pentium Gold, and Celeron Processors
- This motherboard supports Socket 1151 for 9th Gen and 8th Gen Intel Core, Pentium Gold, and Celeron processors, with integrated graphics, memory and PCI Express controllers to support onboard graphics output with dedicated chipsets, dual-channel (4-DIMM) DDR4 memory and 16 PCI Express 3.0/2.0 lanes for great performance.